Sunday, November 25, 2012

Sweet Somethings

I'm not really into sweets; I don't have that proverbial sweet tooth. Oftentimes, when eating something sweet, I have to have something salty to eat simultaneously: V-Cut with Flat Tops, pancit canton with monggo hopia, spaghetti with Mer-Nel's choco cake.

But I'm surrounded by really sweet people at work (yihee!) who crave their sugar rush. In the last week or so, I tried two new desserts.

Two Fridays ago, after a dinner at Almon Marina and the Hungarian sausage left a searing spice on my tongue, my colleagues and I walked around Alabang Town Center's new wing. I personally would've settled for a McDo cone. The line for J.Co doughnuts was OA - is this the new It-Doughnut, like Gonuts and Krispy Kreme were? 

We found ourselves in Mochiko at the far end. One wall was almost completely covered by dozens of pink, waving cat figurines, kinda like the gold, waving cats Divisoria entrepreneurs have in their shops for good luck. Then there were two framed drawings of a little girl with an eerie expression. Dman theorized she was named Mochiko and she invented the balled desserts we were about to eat. The interior was mostly pink, which made Dman and Mark feel unexpectedly masculine.

Mochi balls are ice cream wrapped in rolled-flat sticky rice dough. I got black sesame, which tasted quite exotic. Mark ordered red bean, which is like cold hopia; Dman had Oreo, which actually had one cookie inside. I forgot what Jown had. They cost 70 PHP a piece and although I enjoyed it, it's not something I would buy often if I wanted something sweet and filling.



And here we were, monopolizing the plush pink couches and getting cross-eyed admiring the cats. Photo courtesy of Jown.



A week later, in need of new scenery, a chance to catch up and compare emo-notes and just craving for something sweet and comforting, Dman, Jown and I braved the Thursday rush-hour traffic in Makati. We went to Greenbelt, ate at Yoshinawa (where waiters should undergo Basic Good Service 101) then headed off to Gelatissimo for some Italian ice cream. It was actually my first time to eat gelato (Eww, I know haha!) and of course first time to visit the cozy place.

Customers can actually get a small teaspoonful to taste each flavor they want before deciding what to buy (yay for free taste!). One scoop is about 100 PHP, two for 130 PHP, three for 190 PHP. I forgot they have another for 230 PHP. I think the price varies if you choose paper cup or have it on a sugar cone.  We opted for cups. We got pistachio (my absolute fave), Ferrero Rocher, lemon cheesecake, forest berries (kinda sour but still yummy), white chocolate, chili chocolate (surprise anghang after the chocolatey taste melts) and chocolate chip. The ice cream were thick and flavorful and not so sweet na we got umay, although we needed water halfway through. 

We sat in the corner booth near the restroom, which is also a great place to bring a date or just sit alone and go all senti watching the lights and people outside. I did wish I had something salty at that time, though, even a pack of Boy Bawang or Zeb Zeb would do. Next time! 

All I can say is, you get three UPians together and the hot, juicy conversation just flowed! Thanks, guys, we all needed that. ;)

Oh, and the cashier gave me a loyalty card, so after my 7th visit, I can get one scoop free. :)



Our delectable comfort food (I got the one with pink, forest berries), photo op in the throne-like, comfy seat, and the "cast of characters" in our crazy yet super informative pinings about life, love and the best place to work.

2 comments:

  1. At nabanggit mo ang Mer-Nels at bigla ako nagcrave.. Sorry na lang ako. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kung pwede ko lang ipadala yun sayo banana haha, umay na ko dun eh! :)

    ReplyDelete