Saturday, March 2, 2013

Love


A P.S. entry I was going to publish earlier, but got side-tracked by a lot of stuff, sowee. ;)

Good to know I've learned quite a few points about this wonderful, perplexing emotion - from a friend's break up, other people's (esp fellow singles') own views and perceptions, couples' love stories, the preachings at church during the 3-week "Will You" series about biblical love, friendship and relationships, the "Seasons of Love" talk we attended. I'm not saying I became an expert (ha! Far from it!) but it did open my eyes (and yes, my heart) to some new principles. Old mindsets were broken, previous notions debunked or validated.
We're all too familiar with the 1 Cor 13 verses. Heck, I knew it by heart when I heard the dying Mandy Moore say it to reformed bad boy Shane West (cue sniffles and tears). Years later, I came to appreciate its deeper meaning because I know now that the love being described there is also God.
Because of our innate desire to love and be loved, we often jump into relationships too soon. We want the first one that comes our way to be The One. I know I did. And because I was still insecure, incomplete and had a distorted concept of love, I failed. We failed. Many times.
In my three decades I realized I'm not yet ready to be 100% to love someone in the unconditional, selfless kind of love we all should aspire.
I did an exercise our pastor showed us couple of weeks ago. I asked myself:
Am I patient? Am I kind? Do I not envy? Do I boast? Am I proud? Am I rude? Am I not self-seeking? Do I get angry easily? Do I keep a record of wrongs? Do I delight in evil or find joy in the truth? Do I protect always? Do I trust? Do I hope? Do I always persevere?
I know I can't love as perfectly as God does; even I can't love God as perfectly as He does me. I can't do all these all the time, but I'll hold on for that someone who will make me want to be all these not just to him, but to other people as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment